Monday, May 17, 2010

Sometimes you're the windshield...



Sometimes you're the bug. Mary Chapin Carpenter said it perfectly. This week, I was definitely the bug. I hit so many windshields this week, I was grateful for a weekend break. After two pep talks from SHansen, and one from my boss, I feel as if I can keep on keeping on.

So, this week, I came across numerous history related sites. Here they are (in no particular order)

1. Currency Converter - This always reminds me of my grandpa. He used to constantly tell me that I do not know the value of a dollar. Well, this site lets you compare yesterday's prices with today's. This would be a great addition to an economics lesson or any story with a setting in the past (To Kill a Mockingbird, Grapes of Wrath, ex..)

2. Panoramic Images - I know I have mentioned this site before but I feel I should mention it again. They seem to constantly update their site with new images and additions. Check out the USA 360 Virtual Tours section. Read your students a short story about Death Valley, show them the panoramic, and then have them write a journal entry from the viewpoint of a lizard living there. What a great lesson!

3. World History - I like the ability to upload your own family tree and see how your family contributed to history. Many English teachers I know have the seniors research their family tree and develop a family crest. This would be a neat addition to that assignment.

4. Motto Generator - I like this site. In addition to the above, you could have students create their own family motto. I think this would be a neat assignment to do at the beginning of the school year as a "get to know you" activity. Create your own motto(s) that represents you as a student/learner. Then plug them into glogster and make an interactive poster "ALL ABOUT YOU".

So, I will end with the famous words of Joe Dirt. "Life's a garden...dig it!"

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2001_Joe_Dirt/david_spade_joe_dirt_001.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Hate those buggy weeks! I hope that this week has you in the place of the windshield.
    The currency converter is great, I didn't know such a tool existed.

    ReplyDelete